Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The most badass comic book cover featuring a mute ninja ever!


I already mentioned this but Harper laughed this weekend for the first time. If you're not a parent, I really don't think you'll understand how amazing such a simple thing can be. I teared up instantly because it was so damn beautiful. Its one of the things I've looked forward to the most about being a father. She's only done it a few times so far, so I'm really looking forward to when she does it all the time, instinctively.

We've got Canadians in town this week so that's exciting. Last night we took them down to the Magnolia Cafe, which I've never really cared for, but I decided to try something new and it really paid off. After that, we took a stroll down Congress and got some crepes with Nutella, strawberries, and bananas. Harper didn't sleep the entire time, which was weird, but I guess there was too much going on that she wanted to see.

I just did an interview for Greater Than Magazine. I think its going to be pretty cool and will be out a little later this year, I'll let you know. Talked a lot about the songwriting process and inspiration and whatnot. In other Quiet Company news, that rooftop music series thing that we shot for News 8 finally showed on the TV. Don't get excited, it sounded awful. Oh well. So it goes. We've got a show in San Antonio this Friday with two bands that we love, Dignan and The Rocketboys at Sam's Burger Joint. If its at all possible, you shouldn't miss this show.

I finished reading Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows again today for something like the 6th or 7th time. Why is it so awesome? There are a couple of moments in the book that make my eyes want to water so I think that I've decided today that when the movies come out I'm going to allow myself to cry with abandon in the theatre, my pride be damned!

Probably a few of you know this about me, but I'm a huge fan of the GI Joe comic books. In fact, I'm probably only about 25 issues away from having the entire Marvel run. That being said, I've said for years that I didn't think there was any way to do a GI Joe Movie and make it cool. Well, now there is one so I'm not sure if I was right. Its not a good movie so in one way I was right, but at the same time I enjoyed myself so maybe I was wrong. I don't think its fair to judge a movie like GI Joe the same way that you would judge a movie like Forrest Gump but at the same time when there are movies like The Dark Knight being made, you start to wonder if we shouldn't allow movies to get by by just being mindless-popcorn-summer movie fun. GI Joe has only really ever had two characters with any depth and that is Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. So my only real disappointment with the movie was that it messed up their back story and origins. I bet the movie Snake Eyes isn't even a deformed mess under his mask. They also say that he doesn't talk because he took a vow of silence and not because he took an explosion to the face to save Scarlet in the war that jacked up his vocal chords. Storm Shadow has always been my favorite character, though. He's the most interesting because he's got the most going on emotionally, being constantly torn between revenge and atonement. In the movie he's just an irredeemable murderer, though; cold hearted and cliche'.

I didn't really have any problems with the rest of the movie, which is not to say that it was good, but rather to say that it was exactly what I expected it to be. If you can shut down the critical part of your brain, like I guess I'm capable of, or if you're an 8 year old boy, then GI Joe: Rise of Cobra is a good time to be had. Channing Tatum's performance is boring and I'm pretty sure I saw Dennis Quaid look at the camera once, but it is chocked full of all the things 8 year old boys love and you might find yourself remembering what it felt like to be one.

Oh yeah, and Snake Eyes' mask had lips!! Who makes that decision? I bet its the same person that thought the Batsuit really needed those nipples.

No comments:

Post a Comment