Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This day is alive and this day is hungry.

Right now, I'm listening to the practice recordings we made last night. Considering that they are, largely, the result of hanging one mic from the ceiling in the practice space, they sound pretty OK. Last night we brought Cody and Landre, tromboner and trumpeter respectively, in to learn the two new songs, so that we can start playing them at our CD release show on May 7th. The horns are pretty out of tune in these recordings but they'll be great on the 7th, I'm sure. Definitely not bad, considering it was their first time to really even hear the songs.

I'm really excited about each of these two new songs. Probably more so than I've ever been excited about a new song. Turns out there is some merit in everyone working together to shape a song. Well, it turns out that there is some merit in Tommy, Matt, Jeff, and I working together to shape a song. For most of my musical life, it was definitely more productive to arrange the song all on my lonesome, not to mention far more conducive to my "vision." *Pretentious. Anyway, when we were playing last night, it struck me, as it often does, how lucky I am to have these guys as my musical brothers. I didn't tell them that, though, because I'm always telling them that kind of thing, and they never tell me anything of the sort unless I compliment them first. What a bunch of assholes. Thoughtless...selfish...assholes.

I'm kidding of course. I have to clarify when I'm kidding because the internet has no sense of humor to speak of.

Leah's mom's dog, Sally, died today. She had kidney failure and the decision had to be made to put her to sleep. I am truly, truly sad, not just for Leah and her mom, but also because I will really miss Sally. She was an amazing dog. She was sweet and maternal and friendly, and when I first met Leah's family, I think it's fair to say that she was the most welcoming member right off the bat. Leah's blog about it almost made me cry at my desk.

This day is dragging and it won't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment