Monday, November 30, 2009

Are you afraid of wolves or something? I'm not afraid of them, I have a phobia of them.

Read these lyrics to the break out hit by Owl City, "Fireflies," and try and answer the question afterward.

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies lit up the world as I fell asleep
'Cause they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude but I would just stand and stare

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems

'Cause I'd get a thousand hugs from ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance
A foxtrot above my head
A sock hop beneath my bed
A disco ball is just hanging by a thread

When I fall asleep leave my door open just a crack
(Please take me away from here)
'Cause I feel like such an insomniac
(Please take me away from here)
Why do I tire of counting sheep
(Please take me away from here)
When I'm far too tired to fall asleep

To ten million fireflies
I'm weird 'cause I hate goodbyes
I got misty eyes as they said farewell
But I'll know where several are
If my dreams get real bizarre
'Cause I saved a few and I keep them in a jar

(I fall asleep)
I'd like to make myself believe that planet earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
Because my dreams are bursting at the seams


Here's the $1,000,000 question. What the hell is that song about? Seriously. Is this guy an effeminate 7 year old? I only ask because I don't think those lyrics would come out of a well adjusted 20 something.

Anyway.

We had a fantastic holiday. Harper was somewhat of a demon on the trip to Tyler (which took 1 1/2 hours longer than it typically does because of traffic) but we realized the next day that it was probably because she was cutting her first tooth. She was an angel on the trip back, incidentally.

Thanksgiving was awesome because I'd really been missing my family and I got to see them and because our food kicked so much ass. I've only enjoyed Thanksgiving turkey twice in my life, counting this year, and both times its been fried turkey. This year was the absolute best, however, because this year Seth got a fried Cajun turkey from Dickie's BBQ and it was ridiculously delicious. I've got no time for smoked or roasted turkeys from now on. I'll eat a turkey leg at a theme park but other than that, keep those dry pieces of shit away from me.

We also got to stay at our friends, Ryan and Tori's awesome new house, which was a great time. Very comfortable and welcoming.

On Friday, Seth's family came back to Austin with us for the weekend. It was really great to get to spend actual quality time with them, especially my niece and nephew who are amazing little people. Unfortunately, my nephew had a fever on Sunday morning so they left a little earlier than we planned.

Leah and I spent the rest of the day cleaning and relaxing and a little later headed over to the studio for her to record her parts on a few songs for the EP. It sounds great but I think she always expects recording to be a little easier and less frustrating than it really is. But she's a trooper and she knocked it all out.


Oh, and we saw Fantastic Mr. Fox, which in my humble opinion is the best Wes Anderson movie since The Royal Tenenbaums (which is saying something because, in my humble opinion, The Royal Tenenbaums is the best movie ever made). I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a while, and for the rest of the night I'd just think about the movie and belly laugh again. I loved it and cannot wait for that DVD to be buyable.

4 comments:

  1. We hated to leave too. Rylan ended up with a fever of 102-103 by this morning, but it has finally broken. The dr. said it was because of the shots he got about a week ago.

    We had a great time! Thanks for putting us up! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a phobia of thunder.

    Oh, and I happen to think 365 days for one turn around the sun counts as "turning slowly" so you probably don't have to make yourself believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that song on the radio for the first time yesterday, and was reminded of this post.

    The lyrics are pretty stupid but after listening to the song it makes some kind of sense why they're that stupid. It's kind of like Death cab for Middle School. :/ I'm not a fan by any means, but the lyrics are part of the whole magical fairyland techno aesthetic..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I randomly looked up the wolves quote from Fantastic Mr. Fox and was lead to this site. Cool blog, man.

    By the way my favorite part was when Ash said. "I thought you were my lab partner."
    "I am."
    "No you're not. You're disloyal."

    ReplyDelete