Friday, July 31, 2009

I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day.


After work yesterday, I went straight downtown because it didn't make sense to go home before the show. I decided to just hang out and kill time at Bookpeople, a nice bookstore in downtown Austin. I ended up getting into a long conversation with the worker who was in charge of the comic book section. I stopped collecting comics in 2007 when Quiet Company started touring full time so I'm pretty out of the loop now as far as what ended up happening with a handful of story arcs. The biggest bomb that Jerome, the Bookpeople guy, dropped on me was that Marvel has, essentially, hit the magical reset button on Spiderman's life. He's no longer married, and no one knows that Peter Parker is Spiderman. When I stopped collecting it was right after "Civil War" where Peter announced to the world on national TV that he was Spidey.

It just makes me sad because one of the things I've always loved about Spidey is that he matures. He actually grows as a character. Peter Parker today is not the same Peter Parker that appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15. I feel like that is what really makes him special and for them to just wipe away years of development for the sake of convenience is cheap, and totally devoid of real creativity and artistic integrity. Of course, I haven't actually read it so don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

The show last night was really cool, especially since it was so last minute. I had a good time but was also really thankful that it was an early show and I still got to bed at a reasonable time. I'm also really glad its Friday and the day is almost over.

My beautiful bride and I are going to see Funny People tonight, so I'm looking forward to that. Partly because I expect that movie to be great, and mainly because I absolutely love spending time with my wife.

Friedrich Nietzsche said that “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” Truer words were never spoken. Leah is my best friend in the entire world, and there is no one who's company I prefer to her's. Its my greatest hope that Harper can always look at her parents and see two people that, genuinely, love being together and serving one another.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment