Monday, February 15, 2010

HEY! ..Been tryin' to meet you.


I hope everyone had a lovely Hallmark Card Day. Leah and I didn't "celebrate" this year, which I'm all for. I'm not sure what clicked with her this year that made her see reason but I'm glad. I think Valentine's Day, essentially, exists for those guys who treat their ladies like shit 364 days of the year. They give them one day of hope to make them stick around one more year. Just a theory.

Personally, I hope that my wife feels appreciated every day. All the guys I hang out with are good guys, and I think we all kind of feel this way. We all hate Valentine's Day. We all think it sells a commercialized caricature of love that actually cheapens the real thing. It's like reading a book because someone makes you. I digress.

My wife is amazing. She is funny, and sweet, and beautiful, and thoughtful, and a million other things that make our marriage and our life together fantastic. I want her life to be full of grand romantic gestures that she doesn't expect, not punctuated by the annual minimum requirement. She is the best friend that I've ever had, and she deserves it.

All this is not to say anything bad about people who like to celebrate V-day.

This weekend blew by. Yesterday, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and spent some time with Harper at the park. Later, we tracked down some Cadbury Cream Eggs and ate them while watching "Loud Quiet Loud: A Film About The Pixies." It is well known that I love the Pixies and it was really good. They seem like really nice, normal people.

Watching the crowds that the Pixies played in front of hit me in a kind of surreal way. I tried to fathom how having that many people connect to your art is possible, not probable, mind you, but possible. Leah and I talked about how much I've accomplished as an artist, but to me, it was just a reminder that while I've come a long way, there are still a few million more miles to go. I think the word is "daunting."

In related news, I downloaded Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" and it is really great, so far. Leah pointed out that it was weird that I hadn't heard Frank Black's solo stuff, being into the Pixies like I am.

Also, yesterday, for all the lovers, we made a song from the new EP streamable. Here it is: Hold My Head Above The Water

3 comments:

  1. i love valentines day, sucker! i was just lazy this year. love you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Valentines Day, but I think there is something to be said about getting excited over holidays. I think it's nice to look for any excuse to celebrate, but maybe that was your point.

    Frank Black's solo stuff is pretty great, but I think he was at his best with the rest of the Pixies. I have friends who disagree though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love valentine's day. i think it's kind of a cop out to call any holiday "commercialized" considering that really depends on how you celebrate it. i'm all about heart shaped sugar cookies made from scratch and handmade cards and maybe a mixtape.

    ReplyDelete