Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The New Tribal Democracy

Recently it struck me that it is impossible for a national government to accurately represent and meet the needs of its people, simply because there are too many people, too many lifestyles, too many opinions.

I'm in the process of cultivating an idea; A new way to think about government. Right now, I'm calling it the "New Tribal Democracy," and the general idea is that the Federal government retains control of the military, environmental policy, and prints our money, while the rest of the power goes to the counties, or as we'll refer to them from now on, "Tribes." (Because a county is a place to live and a tribe is something you are a part of.)

All decisions in the tribes will be decided democratically by every member of the tribe. You must contribute to the tribe to be considered a member and to benefit from it, either financially or by way of community service. Our culture now revolves around an exchange of product, but the tribal culture will revolve around an exchange of energy.

Because the governments will be so small and localized, the elected leaders will be held more easily accountable and the people will feel more involved, not to mention better represented. Its a far more rewarding way to govern ourselves.

If the majority of the people in a tribe want universal health care and same sex marriage, then they have the power to make it happen in their tribe but the burden is on them to figure out how to make it work. If the majority of a tribe wants as little government involvement in their life as possible, then they are completely within their rights to make it so.

This would almost completely do away with state government (we'd still need highways, and the DMV) and 24/hr News networks but I don't think we'll miss them.

Its not perfect, but it allows people to be responsible for themselves, and I think that people would find that far more satisfying than the broken system that's in place now.

Any questions?

1 comment:

  1. I can't beleive I've never shot you in the direction of FreakRevolution.com ...

    They just released their Manifesto this last week and I think you'd get a kick out of it. I was thinking about it on the bus today, how I read your blog and theirs and you both talk about Ishmael and cultural revolution and love and connection.. and yet I don't know if you even know each other exist aside from me giving co-founder Kyeli your CD's for her birthday.

    :) Let me know if you like them because I think you will. I hope you will.

    ReplyDelete