Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Strangers on this road we are on, we are not two, we are one.

I got to do an interview for the Austin American Statesman last night. It was a good conversation and I hope it makes for a good write up. It should be out soon.
We touched on all the bases, making a record, making a record without a label, the songwriting process, what influences me, why we write predominantly happy music, etc.

He prefaced a question by saying, "You came out of that north Texas music boom in places like Tyler and Denton..." and that was weird to me because I never knew that the rest of the world took notice of things in Tyler. I guess some people did see what was going on in Tyler in the late 90's/early 2000's as some kind of movement albeit a tiny one. I mentioned this in the interview but who knows if it will make print but I just remember there being a real sense that several people in that community could've really been somebody if they just got the chance. A decade later, hardly anyone from that community has "made it" so either hardly any of us got the chance or I was dead wrong in my assumption. Most likely the latter. So it goes.

Please tell your friends about Quiet Company.

Really.

3 comments:

  1. Probably a weird comment coming from someone you don't know, but I happened upon your blog a while ago and you got me hooked on Brad Neely (and Quiet Company, incidentally). Anyway, if you haven't already you should watch his dubbing of Harry Potter & the Sorceror's Stone- www.illegal-art.org/video/wizard.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading/listening. Actually "Dear Reader, Wizard People" was the first thing I ever experienced from Neely. It is amazing. They gave out copies a few years ago at a toy store here during SXSW. You can also watch it at Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Jersey and I knew there was something going on there in Texas. I was blown away when I would find one band after the other from there. I was like there must be magic in the water! It started with me finding out about The Connotations and it went uphill from there!

    ReplyDelete